Ethernet card not working

I have an EB164 with a Cogent EM100 TX PCI 10/100 Fast Ethernet adapter.
When I fire the machine up into the Debug Monitor it shows the card as:

  Am79C960 driver loaded:         Ethernet Device: 0
          ISA base address: 360, IRQ: 9, DMA Mask: 1

I can then do a showpci and get this:
  Bus  0, device   5, function  0:
    Ethernet controller: DEC DC21140 (rev 18)
      Medium devsel.  Fash back-to-back capable.  IRQ 18.  Master Capable.
        Latency=32.
      I/O at 0x8800
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xa000000.

When I launch the linux kernel this is what is reported by the kernel:

  eth0: DC21140 at 0x8800 (PCI bus 0, device 5), h/w address
    0d:96:32:c3:ff:00,
  eth0: Cannot find correct PCI device [5] for SROM decoding!

What do they mean "Cannot find correct PCI device [5] for SROM decoding"?
Do I need to compile a module for it?  I hope not because this is the only
Alpha I have access to.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kirt

P.S.  I was also unsuccessful at getting a 3c905b to work in the machine.
I kept getting an error message to the effect of device not found or
device busy.  That is not the exact error message though.