Re: Debian GNU/Linux 2.1 fuer DEC Alpha

I had these same "broken loop" messages on a UDB and an SX, and it didn't
seem to be more than a warning;  the installation completed
successfully, and nearly everything works OK.  A few things (elm, nn,
chimera, for example) die with memory violations, but the systems
themselves have been running happily for 18 days now.  I've assumed that
the warnings were merely cosmetic blemishes.  I don't recall having
any problems with the device driver installation.  Perhaps this is a
problem only with the installation images for this one architecture.
Oddly enough, some of the pre-release Sparc installation images  did
just the same thing, and jumped over the device driver configuration
entirely.

If there are particular modules you need in the kernel, and they were not
added during installation, try doing an insmod by hand; if they succeed
(and they generally do), add the names to /etc/modules, and they will
insert themselves at boot time.  If you recompile the kernel with the
drivers built-in, you'll want to remove the names from /etc/modules;
otherwise you may get nasty messages when you boot.

Ich habe mir erlaubt, aus lauter Faulheit auf Englisch zu antworten--
oft habe ich keine Ahnung, wie die technischen Begriffe auf Deutsch
heissen, und es ist im allgemein besser, Kauderwelsch zu vermeiden :-)

Herzliche Gruesse!

 John Chapman        hannes@eskimo.com     hannes@pop.nwnexus.com