Re: Alphastation 250 and ISDN

On Sun 28 Mar 1999, Harry Gaenslein wrote:

> System: Alphastation 250
>             96 MByte RAM
>             Latest Firmware
>             Debian 2.1 (slink)

Could you tell me what kernel you're running (and where you got it / the
sources). Off the bat I can say that chances are that anything earlier
than 2.0.36 won't work properly.

> i successfully installed my AVM Fritz ISDN-Card on my Alpha. The module
> installs just fine.
>
> But...when i run 'isdnctrl addif ippp0' i get the following error:
>
> isdnctrl: Exception at [<fffffc0000454200>] (fffffc0000454320)
> isdnctrl: Exception at [<fffffc0000454324>] (fffffc000045431c)
> addif: bad address
>
> The odd thing is: ippp0 is there afterwards. Though the system tells me

There's also a problem with the compiler with the ISDN code in the
kernel. I usually use an old egcs 1.03 version to build my kernel
(actually I just swap around the cc1 binary). At some point egcs
starting sig11'ing on slhc.c, and simply compiled isdn_common.c wrong
(an inline strlen on the if name "ippp0" returns something like 34 which
causes the exception you see).

However, this is all long ago; I haven't checked the current state yet.

> that the machine doesn't have syncppp support. But I marked the option
> when compiling the new kernel. I tried make config, make menuconfig and
> even make xconfig. I even tried different graphiccards.
> I also compiled different versions of isdnutils. Every version gave the
> same error back.

You are not simply using the isdnutils package? That is _known_ to work
(I made and use it :-)

So, make sure you have linux 2.0.36. For 2.2.x you must patch the kernel
with the CVS ISDN sources.

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl | debian: paul@debian.org