Re: glibc and associated packages in incoming

On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Christopher C Chimelis wrote:

> I just uploaded glibc 2.1.1 and the other packages that needed
> recompiling.  The only one I had problems with was fakeroot, which is
> needed since libtricks won't work under glibc 2.1.x yet (long story).  I
> think that fakeroot's problems may be easily fixed by an old patch that I
> worked out when we were first porting fakeroot to Alphas, so expect that
> uploaded soon as well.  Bad news is, though, that we have nothing other
> than sudo again until then :-(

Hrm, when you get a working fakeroot I can install glibc2.1 on saens and
you guys can start testing things out without wrecking your home systems..
But it is pretty useless without a working fakeroot :<

> Also, package order is *super* important when installing these things.
> Best thing that I've found to do is install the new libc6.1 and
> libncurses4 debs together on one command line.  This avoids a problem with
> dpkg trying to work using a libncurses that's outdated.

Does APT order this installation correctly if you ask it to simply install
ibc6.1? We definately should try to get the dependencys/conflicts worked
out from the start!

> Also, apt has been recompiled now.  Please bang on it and make sure things
> are ok with it.  It's a new version, so I'm not sure if it breaks anything
> or does anything different.

Hmm, I belive the latest 0.1 series fixed a small segfault on the alphas,
not sure. 0.3.2 should hit incoming soon which I know works on the alpha,
I did lots and lots of testing on saens.

Jason