AW: AS800 :((

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Paul T. Ryan [mailto:ptryan@ameritech.net]
Gesendet am: Sonntag, 14. März 1999 20:10
An: Hilmar.Saller@pp-online.de
Betreff: Re: AS800 :((

Yes - its up and running now.  here's what i did:

1 - copied the image file from gatekeeper.dec.com
        /pub/DEC/Linux-Alpha/Images/generic-up-221.img
    and used rawrite to copy it to a floppy.
    (check your floppies since i went through 3 floppies to get a good one
without errors)

2 - create the RH5.2 ramdisk from the standard ramdisk.img file (using
rawrite)

2 - boot the AS800 with the floppy, but specify the interactive boot, since
SRM truncates characters

    >>> boot dva0 -flags i

3 - at the aboot prompt, type

aboot> vmlinux.gz load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=1 root=/dev/fd0

4 - the kernel should boot, and then prompt you for the root disk.  put it
in the drive, hit return, and you're off to the races.  if you get an error
from the ramdisk, try making a new one (floppy problems)

hope this helps

-paul ryan
ptryan@ameritech.net

Hello,

Thanks for Your help.

We could start the installation, and it went on quite good.
But:
Doing a reboot always needs a floppy to boot from. Our AS800 does
not stay in the srm-console, it turns to the alpha-bios. (NT style)
Any idea, how we could get the booting problem fixed ?? We'd like to
boot from harddisk automaticaly.

Hilmar Saller
saller@pp-online.de