Re: Kernel 2.2

On Thu, 25 Feb 1999, Christopher C Chimelis wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, D. W. Wieboldt wrote:
>
> > Next I would like to see the pcmcia stuff
> > run.  Would that be asking too much?
>
> Try the packages that are in potato.  If they work for you, I'll ask that
> they be included in slink for Alphas.

I couldn't find any compiled modules in potato, so I tried to get it
working on my own. I have a UDB Multia with two on-board pcmcia slots and
-since three days ago- a digital camera with pcmcia cards :-)

Compiling the pcmcia-cs_3.0.7.orig.tar.gz (with pcmcia-cs_3.0.7-3.diff.gz)
was rather nasty, but in the end it had the at least modules I wanted and
I could mount the card. (kernel is 2.2.1)

Auto-unmounting does not work right, it seems that it does not free the
devices again, after several card-in-out-cycles, I had it listening on
/dev/hde1 (after /dev/hda1 and /dev/hdc1). It works fine, if you unmount
it yourself.

It would be nice, if there was some kind of pcmcia-support in slink,
althought I see that it is quite difficult to get it stable. (There are
good chances running into a kernel panic when unplugging mounted stuff...)

... Christoph
--
Christoph Berg <cb@heim-d.uni-sb.de>
Wohnheim D, 2405, Universität des Saarlandes