Re: Floppy problems after long uptime

On Thu 18 Feb 1999, Christopher C Chimelis wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Feb 1999, Paul Slootman wrote:
>
> > The negative numbers made me suspect the worst, confirmed by a look into
> > the source: jiffies are being stored into "int" values... My uptime was

> > Is the problem _this_ obvious, or am I missing something else?  This is
> > with 2.0.36, but the 2.2.1 source looks very similar.
> >
> It could very well be that obvious.  I found a similar problem with the
> future version of ping (as well as ping6 for IPv6) where half of the code
> properly used sizeof(struct timeval) to get the proper amount of chars to
> use to store the time, but the other half just assumed that the size of
> the struct was 8.
>
> Seems like alot of revision has been done, but an equal amount of things
> was overlooked in both kernel and application source code quite often.
>
> I could work up a diff for you for 2.2.1 if you'd like (and change the
> glibc 2.1 package as well, when I can)....

Are you talking about my floppy problem, or the ping thing? I'll
look into the floppy thing myself, but won't have time to do so until
Tuesday. I'm assuming the glibc 2.1 thing is about something apart from
floppies?

Anyway, my posting was more of a sanity check for myself before diving
into it and making myself look rediculous on the linux-kernel mailing
list (debian-alpha is a lot smaller :-)  So, I guess I'll be digging in.
There goes my uptime...

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl | debian: paul@debian.org