not enough memory for latest boot disks?

Oscar Levi writes:

 > When I boot using the 11-15 diskettes, MILO comes up OK, but I cannot
 > perform the boot to the kernel:
 >
 >   boot fd0:linux root=/dev/fd0 rw ramdisk_size=5120 load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=1
 >
 > I get an error message about not having enough memory.  I can see the
 > disk load, detect the MSDOS format, and then the error.  Has anyone
 > else seen this?

Hello,

A couple of checks:
- Was that with the last version 981115 of the installation disks?
- Did you get to MILO through SRM or ARC?
- What is the size of the memory that MILO reports (use command "show")?
- Could you try without ramdisk_size=5120 (which means
ramdisk_size=4096) to see if that makes a difference, actually
ramdisk_size=5120 is no longer needed.
- what machine are you using, with which rescue disk?
- maybe you can  try replacing the milo on the boot disk with the
one on ftp://gatekeeper.dec.com/pub/DEC/Linux-Alphas/Kernels/Test-Milos-981008
- did you see the memory info reported by the linux kernel when it
boots, what is it?

Regards,

Loic