From: Jaap Schellekens [mailto:schj@geo.vu.nl]
Sent: Monday, January 18, 1999 11:44 PM
To: axp-list@redhat.com
Subject: libffm and LD_PRELOAD, a tip

Fro those of you that want the extra speed of libffm and do not want
to recompile large packages (octave for example takes a lot of time to
recompile) setting a LD_PRELOAD environent does the trick.

I use "setenv LD_PRELOAD /usr/local/lib/libffm.so.1"  (csh obviously)

if i now do a ldd on a file, libffm gets listed first. I did some tests
and it works fine on my system. To be honest i learned this from the
bladeenc author after I asked him is he could link his (binary-only)
program with the faster libs. Using this trick bladeenc runs about 25%
faster in my box.

Cheers -- Jaap

Jaap Schellekens                E-mail:         schj@geo.vu.nl
Hydro(geo)logy Dept.            Fax:            ++31 20 6462457
Inst. of Earth Sc.              Voice:          ++31 20 4447287
Vrije Universiteit
De Boelelaan 1085
1081 HV Amsterdam NL            See also:   http://flow.geo.vu.nl