Re: Installing MILO for SRM boot

On Thursday, 31 Dec, Mike wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am attempting to set up a PC164LX system with SRM to boot without the
> need for a floppy.  Can anyone shed some light on how one creates a
> bootable partition that SRM can access and what one puts into that
> partition in order to bring up MILO?  (i.e. be able to get to MILO by
> doing a 'boot dkv0' at the SRM prompt).
>
> Thanks

1. The disk must be disklabel-partitioned.
2. Probably the easiest way is to create a small (half a megabyte should
be enough) raw or FAT partition specifically for MILO.  The partition
must start at sector 0 (this is required just because of the silliness
of existing SRM boot block writing tools...).
3. If it's a raw partition, use one of many appropriate tools like
srmbootraw.  If it's a FAT partition, copy the MILO image onto it in
a normal way and run srmbootfat.

Binaries and the manual page for srmbootfat and srmbootraw are available
from ftp://genie.ucd.ie/pub/alpha/milo/ ; the source code is in
milo-2.0.35-c4.tar.gz.  For technical details, see also the SRM HOWTO
(somewhere on the Web).

Nikita