Re: Alphastation 200 and debian

On Thu, Dec 17, 1998 at 01:49:34PM -0500, Andrew Isaacson wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 17, 1998 at 09:55:30AM -0800, Oscar Levi wrote:

> > > It definitely has been shipped.  I own a copy.
> >
> > I'm confused.  Are you running the hamm version?
> >
> > It is possible that someone took a snapshot of the alpha stuff and
> > made a CD.  It has not yet 'shipped' as an official Debian version,
> > but nothing stops someone from publishing the development stuff.
> > Heck, that's what I'm running.
> >
> > The first 'official' release for alpha will be slink.  I think this is
> > to be version Debian 2.1, but I'm not sure about the number.
>
> Ah, sorry 'bout that.  Yes, I have a 2.0 snapshot for Alpha from LSL.
> It's labelled "Debian 2.0 Beta -- Alpha Binary".  It is not, and does
> not claim to be, an official release.
>
> It's a CD-R, so at least theoretically they can update it frequently.

Don't fear.  The new apt tool makes upgrading a snap.  Once you get it
running, you point apt to a mirror site and it upgrades all packages
that you have already installed.  Even better, there is a simple
command line for installing a package and all of its dependencies:

  apt-get install FOO

It's fast, and it tends to work.  Note that once it knows about the
mirror, all apt commands will putt the latest version from there.