looking into smail and unaligned accesses

I am looking into smail, trying to eliminate the unaligned accesses I
am finding in it.  What is odd is that the version I built on my
machine is worse than the version that is packaged for slink.  Are
there additional patches to the smail sources for alpha?  The version
numbers don't suggest this.  Also, the size of the version I built is
different from the slink/main/binary-alpha/mail version.