Re: enhancements to MILO

On Friday,  9 Oct, Arnaud Installe wrote:

> Oh $%&* !  Are you at -0.2 already ?  Hope my patch integrates a bit with
> that as well...  Did you give it a try ?

Mea culpa - I did not announce it.  I've been terribly busy last two
days and will be gone tomorrow till Wednesday, so despite my curiosity,
I won't have a chance to look at your patch (quite unfortunately).
There are other things I want to do with MILO as well - e.g., build it
against a properly patched kernel (with respect to SX' floppy) etc...
As for your patch, -0.2 is not awfully different from -0.1, so it should
apply more or less cleanly.

> > BTW, binaries built from 2.0.35-0.2 are on genie in the milo-981005
>
> Sounds nice.  Sources as well ?

Sure.

> Oh, and BTW: the free x86 emulation doesn't work for me.  Last time I
> tried I didn't have a terminal at hand, so I don't know if it hung the
> machine, but it certainly didn't do anything useful to my video card.

How do you test your changes then?  Do you build MILO with libc-1.93 or
whatever the version is?

> > They can't be flashed.
>
> That's a pity.  I've always hoped to get rid of AlphaBIOS one day.

Rumours are that MILO will never have what it takes to initialise
everything properly.  It's easier to rely upon the console with that
respect.  There are too many peculiarities...  Sigh.

> Unfortunately my system [XL366 - Alcor/XLT] doesn't build fmu.  Do you
> think that *if* I could get it to compile eventually it'd do something
> useful on my motherboard.  Or does flashing work another way on this
> motherboard than the way supported by fmu ?

I don't know.  I've never looked into that.

Nikita