Re: enhancements to MILO

On Thu, Oct 08, 1998 at 08:18:16PM +0100, Nikita Schmidt wrote:
> > * When setting up devices display an additional `.' each second.
> > Before milo
> >   only would display a `.' when outputting something.
> >
> Nifty.  Then it would probably make sense to scrap the old dot
> displaying mechanism, to make it even smoother.

Did that already.

> > * Added the possibility to specify a device (e.g. sda3) in
> > /etc/milo.conf, so
> >   that the kernel doesn't need to be on the same device.
> >
> I thought I did it...  Or was it in -0.2?

Oh $%&* !  Are you at -0.2 already ?  Hope my patch integrates a bit with
that as well...  Did you give it a try ?

> > The patches are against Nikita's milo-2.0.35-0.1.tar.gz.
>
> There is -0.2 out.  It it supposed to be able to run without BIOS
> emulation.  Works for me, don't know about others.  Another feature
> is that it's now less verbose on the serial port (doesn't cause mess
> when there is a modem).  Only output of a command entered via the
> serial port goes back to the serial line.  The initialisation messages
> (which are so useful when something doesn't work) are thus suppressed on
> the serial line by default, but can be turned on with miloctl.
>
> BTW, binaries built from 2.0.35-0.2 are on genie in the milo-981005

Sounds nice.  Sources as well ?
Oh, and BTW: the free x86 emulation doesn't work for me.  Last time I
tried I didn't have a terminal at hand, so I don't know if it hung the
machine, but it certainly didn't do anything useful to my video card.

> directory.  They are built without BIOS emulation, to see how it works.
> They can't be flashed.

That's a pity.  I've always hoped to get rid of AlphaBIOS one day.
Unfortunately my system [XL366 - Alcor/XLT] doesn't build fmu.  Do you
think that *if* I could get it to compile eventually it'd do something
useful on my motherboard.  Or does flashing work another way on this
motherboard than the way supported by fmu ?

					Arnaud

--
Arnaud Installe                                 arnaud.installe@advalvas.be

The Kennedy Constant: