Re: where is hamm-alpha ??

Dear Michael,

> can some one please explain

I'll try.

> 	what's the difference between slink and sid?

`sid' is the new name given to what the debian alpha crowd hoped would be
the `hamm' release for alpha.  `slink' is the current test version that
hopefully makes for the next release (together with the i386 slink
release).

> 	where to find documentation on this naming (where do these names
> 	come from: bo, hamm, slink and sid) and what do they mean here?

The names are figures from the (computer) animated motion picture Toy Story
because some of the progenitors of debian were also working at Pixar, the
company that produced Toy Story (under cover of Disney, as you'd expect :).

I am not sure there is a system in the naming.  The important thing is that
the names are used before a release so debian does not have to fix the
numbers until the "freeze" and beta releases.

When `hamm' was released this year it was numbered as version 2.0.  This
unfortunately means that releases for achitectures that did not make it -
such as the attempt of finishing `hamm' for alpha - have to change name to
avoid people thinking that there is a debian 2.0 release for alpha.  Thus
it was necessary to rename it to `sid'.

For this reason we are all now working on `slink' to (hopefully) be able to
catch up with the i386 and m68k architectures.  `sid' is orphaned in the
sense that it is not under active development as I understand it (which you
may, of course, see as a good thing).

I hope this helps,
		   Kristoffer <krisrose@debian.org>

BTW, Sid is the evil boy of Toy Story...
--
Kristoffer Høgsbro Rose, Ph.D., prof.associé  <Kristoffer.Rose@ENS-Lyon.FR>
Laboratoire de l'Informatique du Parallélisme  équipe PLUME, bureau LR5-026