Re: PCMCIA

On Tue, 29 Sep 1998, Scott Lewis wrote:

> Has anybody been able to get PCMCIA to work?  I have an AS200/233 with
> 48MB RAM running 2.0.35.  I am about to nuke it and go to Debian.
> (Currently RH5.1)  I DL'd pcmcia-cs and managed to get it to compile, but
> if I try to start it up by hand, as such:
> insmod pcmcia_core
> insmod i82365.o
> and get:
> ./i82365.o: unresolved symbol _bus_inb
>
> I can't load the other cs modules.  If PCMCIA is called during boot, very
> bad things happen.  I'll get a bunch of SCSI bus errors about timeouts and
> the like to the point that I have to one-finger-salute it, go back to an
> older, non-modularized kernel in order to get back into the system and
> remove PCMCIA from the start ups.  I mailed Dave Hinds (the guy who wrote
> pcmcia-cs, among others) regarding all of this, and he said that the error
> message listed above is pretty bad.  No amount of re-compiling or kernel
> mucking seems to get around this.  Any ideas?  I've heard that some people
> got it to work on UDB's, so I am not quite ready to give up.

I'm slowly working on it (other things are prioritised above it -- egcs,
binutils, etc).  I do have an email that details it, but since we don't
really have a "standard kernel" yet, I've been holding off.  I'm thinking
about building it for the kernel being used on the kernel disks (for
install purposes) and just building a source package (rather than the way
it is now...half source and half binaries) that is Alpha-only to be built
by the end-user.

Unfortunately, I don't have any PCMCIA devices to test with it, so
finishing this project has been a bit stalled.