RE: On Documentation

----------
From:  Christopher C Chimelis[SMTP:chris@classnet.med.miami.edu]
Sent:  Monday, September 28, 1998 5:23 AM
To:  Guenter Geiger
Cc:  'debian-alpha@lists.debian.org'
Subject:  Re: On Documentation

On Wed, 23 Sep 1998, Guenter Geiger wrote:

> The Debian  Alpha Port Page needs a maintainer. This should be a structured merge of existing archives.
> And links to useful information (All together in one place ..

I'd be happy to take care of the page since it was mine to begin with :-)
(have the CVS stuff here and have been updating it when I can).  Tell me
what you all want up there and I'll change it asap.

First of all I would like to see installation instructions there. As these do not exist at the moment we should probably
start with a common effort and post the docs to the list.
What is needed

1)  Overview of known systems, boot methods, milo, aboot, SRM, AlphaBios, ARC, ...
2) General installation instructions (creating boot floppies, partitioning, steps to be taken after milo started, aboot ??)

Within the second part the should be a description how to load milo with the different consoles

3) Booting MILO with ARC
4) Booting MILO with AlphaBios
5) Booting MILO with SRM

6) A section for each system which needs special attention (regarding builtin graphic cards, boot parameters or whatever)
7) A section for problems related to specific hardware (common graphic card support, SCSI adapters, floppy drives, memory,

This is just a proposal, after we have a final layout the different parts should be written by people with the corresponding
hardware and posted to the mailing list.

> There should be a more constructive approach for bug reports
> (Does anyone remember our bug report page at
>         http://genie.ucd.ie/alpha/debian.html

I was thinking of this during my downtime.  I didn't come up with anything
good, though.  Any suggestions?  I do have the Alpha bug tracking stuff
here, so I could start it up here if needed.

What if we would use the common Debian bugtracking system ? Does anybody know how to get an entry there (fast)?

> Do we already have someone who runs  Lars´s dbuild engine ? (There was a publicly unanswered
> request from Lars a few weeks ago)

I missed this one. I would love to learn and install it on alpha.debian.nl
(where it would do the most good obviously).

...and we  could link the output of dbuild into a developer section on the alpha port page, together with a link to
the bug reporting system, and other developer information ..
Please try to contact Lars Wirzenius if you want to do it

Guenter