Re: Back to RedHat

    Bob> On 24 Sep 1998, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
    >> [this is not a flame or rant, even though it will seem to be]

    Bob> On the diversity of packages issue, I agree, diversity of
    Bob> packages is good.  But it just seemed to me that everyone is
    Bob> trying their hardest to get every package under the sun into
    Bob> the archive, without worrying about whether they work or
    Bob> install properly.  (lesstif, gtk being the biggest culprits).

Scuse me? What's wrong the the GTK packages? If you have a problem
with them, please report a bug. The Debian Bug Tracking system is
meant for these kinds of things; if you see a problem with any Debian
package, report a bug by using the 'bug' program, or by looking at
http://www.debian.org/Bugs/ . I have had no such reports of GTK not
installing properly.

    Bob> gnome has its gtk libs (which it depends on).  gtk1.1 is
    Bob> there too.  selecting just one of them was a pain since
    Bob> anytime I selected any package that depended on gtk it
    Bob> brought up the annoying little help screen followed by
    Bob> dependency info.  I'd suggest only bringing up *unresolved*
    Bob> dependency info.

GNOME is alpha software. GTK has a  production release and a
developer's release. We support both. Is this a problem?

It sounds like your problems are with dselect. Dselect will not
bring up dependancy info if the dependancies are met. Perhaps
you should have read the error dselect was giving you.

Ben

--
Brought to you by the letters J and W and the number 14.
"We are the music makers. And we are the dreamers of dreams." -- Willy Wonka