Re: Preparing for the freeze (was: Obsolete packages in main/oldlibs)

On 22 Sep 1998, Robin Stephenson wrote:

> I'd wait a bit (a couple of weeks or so) where packaging Jade is
> concerned -- James Clark's about to release 1.2 as I understand it,
> with Sebastian Rahtz's jadeTeX back end and some other enhancements &
> bug fixes.  I'll dig out the dssslist posting if anyone here's
> interested (unfortunately the archive is broken atm).

Yeah, I heard the same, but I don't think it'll make the slink freeze
deadline.  Besides, since 1.1, we've been unable to recompile jade at all
with shared code (static works fine).  From what I know so far, this is a
binutils bug, fyi.

> OK, I'll see what I can do.  I know I'd have appreciated a
> step-by-step guide when I started with RedHat 4, and I guess there are
> probably enough UDBs out there to make it useful.  Is there a model to
> follow?  What's the usual format -- DocBook?

Not sure really.  My strength is in coding, patching, and compiling :-)
I've never been a doc writer so I stay away from that stuff.  You may want
to check the Debian Documentation Project page to see how they do their
stuff.  I think it might be good to conform to their methods since they'll
have to post it anyway.