SX164 installation hint (was: SX164 installation procedure failed)

Jeff Sturm writes:

 > Nikita's MILO images are built without the DEC BIOS emulator, so they
 > will fail to properly initialize many video cards.

 Yes, I knew, so this is actually a problem with my card,
although the Linux/Alpha FAQ states that the free emulator which
Nikita uses supports at least one card with the S3 Trio64 chipset.
It was meant as a status report, rather.

 I realized that almost everything I did was correct ... except that
 I used the kernel from RedHat 5.1, which has the same problem as
 Debians. The kernel from 5.0 worked.

 So it could be, that the problem is related to the way floppy disk
 access is handled in kernels after 2.0.30 ..

 Thanks for the quick and helpful replies

Guenter
( Yeah ... I own an Alpha with 533 Mhz running Debian Linux .. :)