Re: SX164 installation procedure failed

=> I just tried to install Debian's Alpha port on my newly bought
=> AlphaPC 164SX.
=>
=> The first thing I tried was using Nikita's MILO images.
=> Unluckily the 164sx image doesn't work, my card is a noname
=> S3 Trio64 (which is said to work ..). I don't have any experience
=> with MILO, so I'm not sure if the graphics card is responsible for
=> that. It just stops after the Graphic cards's Text was displayed.
=>
=> Using the resc1440 from Luc's page works OK up to the moment when the
=> root disk should be loaded. There it fails.

How it fails, exactly? A number of people, including myself,
with SXes just found the disk just spinning for a long time and
then a timeout on fd0. I and others cured this by copying a RH
kernel (2.0.30 in my case) in place of that present on Loic's
disk.

Once the system was installed, I noticed that the kernel from the
installation wouldn't properly detect the mouse, so I kept
the RH kernel and compiled a fresh 2.0.34 from source (no
patches) and with modules, I might add. I've been running this
for three or four days, now. No problems so far and the machine
is back to 1998, no more 2018!

=> This is urgent, because I don't have and I don't want to install
=> Redhat ...

Well, you can do it with just the kernel. BTW, is somebody
looking into this? I'm not sure I have the expertise to do it
myself.

=> Guenter

Ciao,

Ettore
--
Ettore Aldrovandi -- SISSA/International School for Advanced Studies
Via Beirut 2/4, I-34013 Trieste, Italy