Re: Unaligned accesses (was Re: debian on ruffian)

On Tue 15 Sep 1998, Andreas U. Trottmann wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 15, 1998 at 09:36:40AM +0200, Paul Slootman wrote:
>
> > But what's worrying
> > me is the inability to run the gimp on my Millenium II (it fails in
> > libgtk with something about "cannot access private resource", at the
> > point where it was going to display the logo).  It's definitely the X
> > server, as displaying over the network on my i386 works just fine.
> > Anyone any ideas?  Is it Millenium-specific?
>
> try 'gimp --no-xshm'. If this works, you probably have a problem with your

Yes, that works! Amazingly, this flag also worked for linpopup (a
winpopup-lookalike for linux, which cooperates with samba to send and
receive messages via netbios). Linpopup also uses libgtk, so I guess
that's what's interpreting the flag.

> kernel being unable to probably do shared memory. Some alpha-patches (and
> some precompiled kernels) are notorious to do this.

Hmmm, (as I've said earlier) I'm using 2.0.35 + the 2.0.36prepatch-2,
nothing additional.

> The latest alpha-patches over Linus' 2.0.35 work for me.

I'll give that a try. Remind me, where can I find the alpha-patches?
(haven't needed them in a _long_ time)

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl | debian: paul@debian.org