Re: xmkmf not working correctly

On Wed 09 Sep 1998, J.H.M.Dassen wrote:
> In linux.debian.alpha, you wrote:
>
> >I've traced it down to the fact that __alpha is not defined when imake
> >processes /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config/linux.cf (that's where
> >LinuxMachineDefines is defined).
>
> We've had a very similar problem some time ago on x86. There is a difference
> in symbols cpp predefines and gcc predefines (try touch /tmp/foo.c ; cpp -dM
> /tmp/foo.c; echo '--' ; gcc -E -dM /tmp/foo.c).
>
> >Anyone any idea?  I've tried this with the xlib6g-dev_3.3.2.3a-1 and the
> >current one which was uploaded this week...
>
> Does cpp define any preprocessor symbols that indicate "alpha"? If so, have
> Branden add an appropriate #ifdef FOO #define __alpha #endif to
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config/Imake.cf. If not, please do a NMU of egcs, adding
> "-D__alpha" to the appropriate CPP_PREDEFINES definition, and send a bug
> report to remind me to include this change in the next regular egcs upload.

Ah, thanks people. I thought that cpp was defining __alpha (and
__alpha__) as I was using those for conditional bits in c source.
However, it appears that gcc sets those explicitly, and cpp only defines
these:

$ cpp -dM x.c
#define linux 1
#define _LONGLONG 1
#define __ELF__ 1
#define unix 1

Not very helpful in distinguishing an alpha...

Chris C.? Are you there? (Chris is our egcs guy.)  Please add -D__alpha
to the appropriate CPP_PREDEFINES definition!

Ray: a bug report is on its way...

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl | debian: paul@debian.org