Re: xmkmf not working correctly

In linux.debian.alpha, you wrote:
>I tried to build chimera2. However, the Makefile generated from the
>Imakefile by xmkmf leaves "LinuxMachineDefines" undefined, which leads
>to command such as:

>I've traced it down to the fact that __alpha is not defined when imake
>processes /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config/linux.cf (that's where
>LinuxMachineDefines is defined).

We've had a very similar problem some time ago on x86. There is a difference
in symbols cpp predefines and gcc predefines (try touch /tmp/foo.c ; cpp -dM
/tmp/foo.c; echo '--' ; gcc -E -dM /tmp/foo.c).

>Anyone any idea?  I've tried this with the xlib6g-dev_3.3.2.3a-1 and the
>current one which was uploaded this week...

Does cpp define any preprocessor symbols that indicate "alpha"? If so, have
Branden add an appropriate #ifdef FOO #define __alpha #endif to
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config/Imake.cf. If not, please do a NMU of egcs, adding
"-D__alpha" to the appropriate CPP_PREDEFINES definition, and send a bug
report to remind me to include this change in the next regular egcs upload.

Greetings,
Ray
--
Cyberspace, a final frontier. These are the voyages of my messages,
on a lightspeed mission to explore strange new systems and to boldly go