Re: egcs pre1.1

On Mon 31 Aug 1998, Christopher C Chimelis wrote:

> FYI, I'm building the pre-release v1.1 of egcs right now.  It seems to
> have fixed a number of problems, but I'll be testing it more extensively
> once it's built.
[...]
> Pleeeeze test this to death since it looks more solid than the 1.0.3a
> release and seems to address MANY of the problems that we have had in the
> past.

I've found a reasonably minimal program where egcs barfs with the
following message:

egcs-error.c: In function `main':
egcs-error.c:40: internal error--unrecognizable insn:
(insn 162 154 69 (set (reg:SI 86)
        (reg/v:DI 71)) -1 (insn_list 154 (nil))
    (nil))
../../gcc/toplev.c:1378: Internal compiler error in function fatal_insn

I've attached the program below.  Additionally, it's on alpha.debian.nl
as ~psl/egcs-error.c . Note that this was generated from a source file
with gcc -E, and then stripping out stuff while the error still occurred.
It's now down to the stage where if you change *anything*, it compiles
fine; just don't expect the source to do anything worthwhile anymore :-)

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl | debian: paul@debian.org
http://www.wurtel.demon.nl | Murphy Software,   Enschede,   the Netherlands