Re: some hamm install notes

On Wed 25 Feb 1998, Ken Raeburn wrote:
> Paul Slootman <paul@wau.mis.ah.nl> writes:
>
> > IMHO leave MILO in flash. I understand that doing that saves some memory
> > (MILO doesn't have to remain resident).
>
> Weird.  Why would it have to remain resident if you boot from disk?

I have no idea... I'm not that knowledgeable about booting on Alpha
(e.g. why is it necessary for MILO to be a sort of mini-kernel, while
the Sparc loader "SILO" is pretty similar to LILO: they both use the
"BIOS" (openboot monitor in Sparc's case) to load the secondary / kernel
stuff).

I load MILO from disk, and when I reboot Linux, MILO is "automagically"
already there. There's also a story in the Red Hat Alpha install notes
about this, which is where I got the impression that MILO stays
resident. Maybe I'm wrong (it's been known ;-)

> > > Since I don't have a cd-rom of hamm nor a local mirror, I wanted to do
> > > the install by ftp, straight from ftp.debian.org.  I didn't see
> > > anything that told me not to, and I certainly didn't want to do it all
> > > by floppy.  But ftp wasn't on my system after I finished with base14-1
> > > through -6.
> >
> > I got the impression that simply doesn't work yet. I *have* created
> > a local (sub-)mirror. Luckily on the boss's dime.
>
> For something that simply doesn't work, it went surprisingly well. :-)
> If it's generally believed not to work, it probably shouldn't be
> provided as one of the options.  But it looked darn close to working,
> except for that little problem with the pathnames.

Well, if you don't fix the pathnames by hand, it doesn't work at all ...
Never really tried it hard enough to dig in. I do most of my testing
"offline" anyway, I don't have a phone line where I live mon-fri.

> So, for the local-disk install, are you giving it the pathname to
> "unstable" with "main" etc as subdirectories?  If that works for you,

I specify each by hand, and give "/mnt/hamm/hamm/binary-alpha" as main,
and "none" for the rest.

> some time this week...  I just rebuilt most of my software base and I
> now know most of the stuff I should save; a new install to try some
> fixes should be no big deal, right?

Your words, not mine :-)

I try not to have anything at all of value on disks where I experiment
with installs. Ideally have a second disk where your user data /
programs are stored.

> > I've tracked it down to something like ip_recv in net/ipv4/ip_input.c.
> > However, I have no idea what to do about unaligned traps :-(  It
> > dissappeared after I built and booted a 2.1.87 kernel.
>
> Updating is probably the right fix then, if the kernel doesn't have
> other surprises in store.

I'll try building a 2.0.33 kernel from the kernel-source package
released this week, and see if that helps.

BTW, are we the only two here? It's been very quiet... Chris?

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl
http://www.wurtel.demon.nl | Murphy Software, Enschede, the Netherlands