Re: hwclock?

On Thu 19 Feb 1998, Paul Slootman wrote:
> On Thu 19 Feb 1998, Michael Alan Dorman wrote:
> > Paul Slootman <paul@wau.mis.ah.nl> writes:
> >
> > Welcome, visitor from the future...join the club.
>
> :-)
>
> > > Anyone have a clue what's going on?
> >
> > Did you compile your kernel with RTC clock support?
>
> Umm, it's the standard kernel that gets installed when you use the boot
> floppies etc...

Apparently that kernel doesn't have the RTC clock support. The /dev/rtc
node was missing as well.

> > I've been too lazy to try and get the kernel-package package working
> > with the Alpha setup, but Manoj has made some comments lateley that
> > make it sound like that might already be the case.  That might be part
> > of the answer you're looking for.
>
> I'll have a look this evening.

OK, I chickened out and hand-built the kernel the "traditional" way
(hope Manoj isn't listening :-).  I used 2.1.87, as I finally decided to
take the plunge into the development kernels again.  It all went pretty
well, except that gcc barfed on drivers/isdn/isdn_common.c (cc1 got
signal 6). So I removed ISDN support, and tried again. This time the
build completed. And the clock time was right! :-)

I tried building the kernel with gcc 2.90 (a.k.a. egcs 1.01; why the gcc
name?). This time gcc barfed on page_alloc.c:

    page_alloc.c: In function `free_pages':
    page_alloc.c:162: internal error--unrecognizable insn:
    (jump_insn 341 333 342 (return) -1 (nil)
        (nil))
    gcc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 6

So I didn't get to try a kernel built with gcc 2.90.
BTW, gcc 2.90 depends on binutils-alpha; I only find binutils on my
mirror site :-(

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl