Re: hwclock?

On Thu 19 Feb 1998, Michael Alan Dorman wrote:
> Paul Slootman <paul@wau.mis.ah.nl> writes:
>
> Welcome, visitor from the future...join the club.

:-)

> > Anyone have a clue what's going on?
>
> Did you compile your kernel with RTC clock support?

Umm, it's the standard kernel that gets installed when you use the boot
floppies etc...

> Actually, I've been using an unpatched kernels for at least the last
> six months.  Even 2.0.X kernels.  I'm running 2.0.34pre2 right now,
> but I was running 2.0.33 before that.

That's interesting. Last time I tried, was back when I first got my UDB
(more than a year ago), and it didn't work then out of the box. I tried
using the Red Hat SRPM, but got so frustrated with rpm that I gave up.
I then got alpha patches from gatekeeper.dec.com, applied those to the
vanilla kernel sources, and that worked. I didn't touch anything after
that (besides, compiling a kernel on a 16MB UDB with the slow 2,5 inch
SCSI disk is painful... Should be better on my new XL-300 with 96MB [I
got a real good deal on that system]).

> I've been too lazy to try and get the kernel-package package working
> with the Alpha setup, but Manoj has made some comments lateley that
> make it sound like that might already be the case.  That might be part
> of the answer you're looking for.

I'll have a look this evening.

Paul Slootman
--