hamm on PC164LX

Hi all ...

this is my first installation of a debian distribution so please
excuse my silly questions.

how it started (milo was installed and working):
I used the disk images from hamm/disks-alpha/1997-08-12 for the pc164
and put the kernel and system map from /1997-10-05 on the rescue disk

after booting from milo with:    (ether is needed by my old NE200 NIC)

   boot fd0:vmlinux.gz root=/dev/fd0 load_ramdisk=1 ether=5,0x300,eth0

my first strange problem was that the root disk created with
   dd if=root.bin of=/dev/fd0 bs=1440k
was not accepted. When I wrote the same image with DOS and rawrite on
the disk everything went fine.

After starting dselect and choosing nfs as access method I got the error
message:
   /usr/lib/dpkg//methods/disk/setup: line 8: 22443 Broken pipe
            find "$mountpoint$2" -follow -name '*.deb' -print 2> /dev/null
but he gets the Packages.gz right from the nfs dir which contains a copy
of the hamm distribution.

Now I am fighting with dselect! Most things seem to need xlib6g which I
can't find anywhere in the hamm directories. I must say that this is
very hard and a little bit frustrating for a RedHat user like me to deal
with such a quantity of dependencies :-)

Think I'll love debian when I get X running ....

--
Marcus