Re: Too much RAM

On Mon 02 Feb 1998, Ferenc Kiraly wrote:

> So, here is my sad story. I've got a AlphaPC 164LX, wit the
> DEC 21164 chip running at 533MHz. Initially there was 128 Megs

You're not overclocking it, I hope? I saw you wrote earlier:

: I have an offer for a 21164EV56 @ 500MHz with a RPX164-2
: motherbord. Will this work with Linux? The motherboard contains

This would explain your problems, if you are indeed overclocking...

> Then they installed the rest of the RAM. Now the system is
> broken. I tried reinstalling about 5 times, each time with
> a new twist, but to no avail. The instalation goes as good as

Try limiting the amount of memory Linux "sees" by adding "mem=64M" to
the bootstring (you know, behind the "root=/dev/sda1" part). Try
different amounts, and see if that makes any difference.  Of course, if
the 164 interleaves its memory banks this may not help.

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl
http://www.wurtel.demon.nl | Murphy Software, Enschede, the Netherlands