hopefully not too far off topic--hard drive problems

I've got a Multia and an old Seagate 11200ND scsi-2 drive in it, and i'm
having an annoying recurring problem where upon booting the kernel and
detecting the scsi devices, i get this feedback:

ncr53c810-0: ID 7, Fast-10, Parity Checking
ncr53c810-0: Suspicious SCSI data while resetting the BUS.
ncr53c810-0: dp0,d7-0,rst,req,ack,bsy,sel,atn,msg,c/d,i/o = 0x309,
expecting 0x100
ncr53c810-0: FATAL ERROR: CHECK SCSI BUS - CABLES, TERMINATOR, DEVICE
POWER etc.!
ncr53c810-0: detaching...

I've tried messing with the cables and the only changes i can affect are
even more negative ones, and I'm out of ideas other than the drive or
cables may be bad.  I don't have another system i can test the drive
in, either...

input is appreciated :)

-Ben