HELP: Installing, patching and building linux kernel sources...

After many hours of collecting information on how to do this, and many
hours of trying to build 2.0.34 (found on the debian 2.0 beta cd I got
from lsl) and then 2.0.35 downloaded, I have questions about what I think
I know and don't know. I sense, from net noise that this happens enough
that there might be some guidelines, which I have missed, already in
place. I have read the kernel HOWTO, did I miss something?

-- What do I need to start?

  I know I need a kernel source package.
	ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/main/binary-
i386/devel/kernel-source-2.0.35_2.0.35-2.deb

  I believe I need an Alpha kernel patch package.
	ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/main/binary-
i386/devel/kernel-patch-2.0.35-alpha_2.0.35-3.deb

  I think I need a kernel header package.
	ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/main/binary-
i386/devel/kernel-headers-2.0.35_2.0.35-2.deb

  I'm also trying /pub/DEC/Linux-Alpha/Kernels alpha-sources-2.0.35-
0.2.tar.gz and alpha-patches-2.0.35-0.2.gz. Are they equivalent to the
debian packages?

-- Is the above set of sources a proper and good set to start with? If
not, recommendations please.

-- How do I install them?

  Can I use 'dpkg -I ...'? My dselect environment isn't working well.
When I tried to install these packages using dselect, it didn't complete,
complaining about 'too many errors'.

  I can unpack the tar '.gz' and tar install it, but I don't know what
to do with the patch '.gz'

-- Do I need to 'apply' the patches with a 'make' or some other set of
commands after installing them? How is this done?

-- What causes the failure I am seeing? Is it because I don't have the
kernel headers?

  I have tried to build after installing the kernel source and patched
with dpkg.
  I had to edit linux/Makefile to change ARCH=i386 to ARCH=alpha.
  I had to modify linux/arch/alpha/Makefile to place uses of $(shell...)
on the right hand side of a macro assignment, '$(shell...) =>
bogus=$(shell...)'.
  I didn't have the header package when I tried this.
  The 'make' errorred out after trying to compile
linux/drivers/char/misc.o. The error seemed to be about missing
'con_blitc', which I could not find a declaration for or any other
reference to in the entire kernel source tree, except for the reference
in drivers/char/selections.h, which is included by misc.c.