X Problem: xf86EnableIOPorts: Failed to set IOPL for I/O

Hi,
I have a ruffian board, a Diamond FireGL and a Ati Expert@Work. I
installed Linux 2.1.128 and the potato distribution (Not too easy, the
RedHat Kernels don't contain SCSI support and I didn't find a
debian/ruffian rescue disk. I would be willing to contribute to the boot
stuff.)

Now here comes my Problem:
When I start MetroX on the Fire GL or debians XF86_Mach64 or Mattis
patched XF86_Mach64 on the Ati card, I get the error message from the
subject:
xf86EnableIOPorts: Failed to set IOPL for I/O
This goes away when I use thes X servers in an environment
with LD_LIBRARY_PATH pointing to a directory where libc, libm and libdl
from Redhat 5.2 are installed. In that case, everything runs fine.

(Almost, the kernel complains abaout Xmetro using /dev/cua0 instead of
/dev/ttyS0. The system has a P2/2 mouse anyway)

One possible mistake from my side could be that because of the MetroX
installation  the Xservers were not configured through the debian
procedures but rather copied to their places and the given their config
files.

Maybe this is rather a libc problem than a X problem, but I cannot
decide that.

Thanks in advance, Ullrich