New alpha owner, (ab)user
- To: debian-alpha mailing list <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: New alpha owner, (ab)user
- From: Scott Bailey <email@example.com>
- Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 00:10:45 -0700 (MST)
- Message-id: <Pine.LNX.3.96.981113000935.360B-100000@bailey1>
Ok, so I bought a Multia 166 alpha (ev4, whatever that means?) box from
cpu micro mart, and then got 16 megs of simms and a used 1.2 gig scsi
drive for another $100.
All told this project has cost me less than $225.00. Not bad for my first
64 bit machine, huh?
Anyway, I have used (and like) Debian on my pentium 133, and am going to
use it for the Alpha. I have gotten about halfway through the instalation
process, so I know I can do it, but....
...what do I do with MILO to get this sucker to auto boot? I have left a
3.46 meg partition at the top of the drive because that is recomended in
the README file.
...Also, what size swap space should I have? I put it at 128 megs for
the moment, the max? Is this silly, or what?
The Multia uses an ARC console, I feel it is a bit confusing, but I guess
it should be easy with a little instrucions from you fine gentlemen and