Re: Ruffian Boot Disks

  David> Umm. I don't think I actually have any at the moment; I tend to hack boot disks
  David> together when I need them. You should however be able to to the following, even
  David> if you only have a windows box handy:

  David> 1) Find 3 floppies.

  David> 2) Make the first one a FAT filesystem and put the ldmilo-ruffian-981020 and
  David> milo-ruffian-981020 files on it (from gatekeeper), renamed to ldmilo.exe and
  David> milo respectively.

Aaaah.

  David> 3) Take the debian boot image for another alpha variant (I think I used avanti,
  David> but it shouldn't matter), and remove the 'linux' from it. Replace it with a
  David> kernel from a red hat install disk.

Yep.

  David> 4) Put the root filesystem on the last floppy.

done that.

  David> Boot the milo from the first one. If you have more than 224M of memory, do 'set
  David> MEMORY_SIZE 224' (this problems should go away in the future). Then switch
  David> floppies and boot fd0:linux root=/dev/fd0 rw ramdisk_size=5120, and then insert
  David> the third one when it is ready for the ramdisk.

  David> It should be possible to use only two floppies by replacing the milo on an
  David> appropriate debian install floppy with the 981020 ones as well (I think), but I
  David> can't vouch for this since I haven't done it.

Works.  Thanks :)  I've managed to put all on two floppies (ie resc and
boot).  However, I had to erase all files from the rh milo boot disc and copy
the debian resc disc files over, then replacing linux with

	http://sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk/packages/redhat/redhat-5.2/alpha/kernels/ruffian.gz

adding the ruffian miload.exe and milo from gatekeeper.  Done!

*phew*

Cheers.  Anybody needs images of the ruffian-resc1440 disc?

--
Nicolai P Guba
	BT Labs			GNU