Re: Working compiler?

On Tue, 3 Nov 1998, Loic Prylli wrote:

> It looks to me egcs-1.0.3a was very stable. No problem for all C
> programs I have encountered. I currently use this version, it is easy
> to recompile it from the source package in hamm (I have put the
> resulting packages in http://lhpca.univ-lyon1.fr/~lprylli/egcs)
>
> There is another package on ftp://genie.ucd.ie/pub/alpha/debian
>
> And Christopher is working on combining a stable gcc with the need for
> libstdc++

I've been mulling this whole situation over and it's becoming an ugly
situation.

What I'm really trying to do is get a stable "newer" version of egcs,
whether it be from the 1_1 CVS branch or from the snapshots.  No matter
what, though, I need them to compile jade and fix some of the problems
that were present even back in 1.0.3 (jade wouldn't compile then either).

I had an idea, though...

I'm tempted to rebuild the hamm egcs package as a secondary compiler and
making an eg++ as well (just for conformity).  I would upload this, have
the 'egcc' link in the current egcs be diverted, and be able to use both
while not needing the older libstdc++ or libg++ versions (now available in
a separate package anyway).

How does this sound?  It may take awhile as my home PC has just kicked the
bucket for good and I can't replace it right away :-(  Time to get one of
these Alphas home to use :-)