Resolved: lchown troubles

First, I'd like to thank everyone for their help and advice.  I will most
definitely watch the list during upgrades in the future. :)  Anyway,
Mikolaj was kind enough to personally inspect the situation. Extracting
the glibc in question into an inert directory, setting LD_PRELOAD to that
directory, and dpkg -i'ing fixed it.  Later, it was noted that /usr/lib/
had the new glibc in it, so I'm guessing that amidst fighting the azerty
keymap on the root disk with my us-qwerty keyboard I put the new library
in the wrong spot, and the old one in /lib looked tastier to the linker.
Anyway, I'm off to go sit in a corner and wear the stupid hat while saying
hail debians now. :)