Re: Weird things with X and apps

>>> Paul Slootman said:
> On Wed 28 Oct 1998, Ove Thomasson wrote:
>
> > X Error of failed request:  BadAccess (attempt to access private resource
> > denied)
> >   Major opcode of failed request:  129 (MIT-SHM)
> >   Minor opcode of failed request:  3 (X_ShmPutImage)
> >   Serial number of failed request:  49
> >   Current serial number in output stream:  50
>
> Start gimp (and other GTK apps!) with the --no-xshm flag. I'm not sure
> what the deal is (i.e. whether the problem is with the kernel or with
> the X server), but the application can apparently not access X server
> shared memory, which it tries to do by default.

You MUST make sure that the kernel and Xservers are compiled with the SAME
SHM data structure defs; ie /usr/include/linux/shm.h. Also, ipc.h and msg.h
in the same directory are important as well for other things.

Note that the stock 2.0.3x shm.h does NOT match with the alpha-patches
version (that's the alpha-patches stuff that I put out on gatekeeper). Also
note that the alpha-patches versions of those header files DO match the
stock 2.1.xx kernel versions.

Available for anon FTP on gatekeeper.dec.com:

  /pub/DEC/Linux-Alpha/Kernels/alpha-sources-2.0.35-0.2.tar.gz # prepatched
  /pub/DEC/Linux-Alpha/Kernels/alpha-patches-2.0.35-0.2.gz     # just patches

These are very new (within the last few days) and also fix a number of
little bugs on certain platforms like UX and MIATA.

--Jay++

  American Non Sequitur Society: we don't make sense, but we do like pizza...

Jay A Estabrook                            Alpha Motherboards - LINUX Project
Compaq Computer Corp.                      (508) 841-3241 or (DTN) 237-3241
334 South Street, Shrewsbury, MA 01545     Jay.Estabrook@digital.com