RE: Booting an Alpha 164SX

----------
From:  Falk Hueffner[SMTP:falk.hueffner@student.uni-tuebingen.de]
Sent:  Thursday, October 22, 1998 1:37 AM
To:  debian-alpha@lists.debian.org
Subject:  Booting an Alpha 164SX

>Hi,

>Ok, I just bought an Alpha 164SX/21164/533MHz/128MB RAM with an
>Adaptec AHA-2940 UW. I tried to boot it, but couldn't get past the
>BIOS.

>The BIOS is an AlphaBIOS Version 5.62-1 970926.1141. It seems to be a
>bit different from the one in the README. It asks me:

>Boot Name:  ______________
>Boot File:  ______________ ________________
>OS Path:    ______________ ________________
>OS Options: _______________________________

>The first part of Boot File and OS Path are selected from a menu. For
>OS Path, I couldn't select the diskette. Also, I couldn't select

Look at http://www.bard.org.il/~marc/html/nano-HOWTO.html/,
you should set the Boot File to a:\     linload.exe.

>partitons < 50 MB, because the clever BIOS knows I couldn't install NT
>on them. Then I tried all kinds of combinations with putting the
>rescue disc on a FAT partition etc. but always got "Bad image file
>type".

Just go to the harddisk setup in your BIOS and remove all of the partitions.
You will partition your driver later on during installation.

>Can anybody help me and tell me which files to put where and what text
>to enter in the BIOS? And what boot disk set and kernel would be
>suitable? Or are there newer BIOSes available? I wouldn't love wasting
>50 MB for a boot partition.

5 MB will be more than enough to keep MILO and linload.exe.
Boot disks can be taken from Loic´s page.
 http://lhpca.univ-lyon1.fr/axp/debian.html
look for sx164/resc1440.bin and drv1440.bin
take your i386 linux box (you have one don´t you ?), get a kernel from redhat 5.0 !! (remember ? the floppy issue)

<ftp://ftp.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/linux/redhat-mirror/redhat/redhat-5.0/alpha/kernels>

copy it to the rescue floppy (this should be a FAT filesystem). ........
I would recommend installing the base system from floppy

Guenter