Warning! Problem when upgrading to sysvinit_2.75-4.1

[CC: to Miquel van Smoorenburg in case the "real" maintainer can shed
some light on this]

I upgraded my machine yesterday (via dselect and a local mirror) to get
it up to date (stuff like gnome etc. were getting out of date).  It all
went reasonably well, however, when sysvinit 2.75-4.1 was being set up,
it started a completely NEW invocation of init! This meant that it
started running all the init scripts, fscking my (mounted!!!)
filesystems, starting all the daemons again, etc...  Needless to say,
this gave very distressing results :-(  Luckily the three-fingered
salute worked, however it didn't umount my filesystems properly before
booting and I was fscking for the next 15 minutes.

So, don't install sysvinit_2.75-4.1 until this has been sorted out!

BTW, who did the sysvinit upload? (the .1 NMU version, that is; there
should be an associated diff in the BTS, but I can't find it).

I can't imagine that this will happen also on i386, else I'm sure I
would have seen a bug report (severity: deadly) on this!
FYI: I was on 2.74-something before the upgrade.

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl | debian: paul@debian.org
http://www.wurtel.demon.nl | Murphy Software,   Enschede,   the Netherlands