Re: Problems: Jade 1.2, nsgml, egcs, dynamic linking

On Sat, 3 Oct 1998, Jeff Noxon wrote:

> I tried to build jade 1.2 because the nsgml program in sp 1.3-1.1-5
> segfaults.  Consequently, sgml2html and sgml2txt don't work.

Good luck...I've been working on this problem for over a month now...

> Jade 1.2 dies well into the build process (at least 1 hour on my AS200
> 4/233).  egcs gets an internal compiler error.  Sorry, I don't have
> the message...

It's ok.  I know the message.  I'm trying to get an egcs snapshot packaged
up (or really trying to get someone else to finish their work on it).  The
new egcs fixes the internal compiler errors that we've been having,
apparently.

> nsgml is still broken in Jade 1.2.  However, I hacked together a static
> version that *does* work.  Is there any chance this is the same binutils
> bug that makes Qt fail?

I have a package for Qt on my ftp site for testing.  It was built with the
new binutils, fyi, so if that was the problem, it should be fine.

> I'm happy for now just having nsgml working, because I need it to build
> aboot.  I'm not sure how to solve the egcs problem though.  We don't have
> an alternate c++ compiler.  Is it possible that compiling with -O0 would
> fix it?

Nope.  If you got the error while compiling FOTBuilder.cc, then there is
no workaround.  It looks like it's having a problem making a pointer to a
public function, but that's really oversimplifying what's going on.  It's
really hairy.

> Who built the last version of Jade?  What was it built with?

It was built with egcs-1.0.1, which is long gone.  I can probably go back
and build a new one, but it will want to link to libstdc++2.8, which is
suboptimal.