Re: Preparing for the freeze (was: Obsolete packages in main/oldlibs)

On Tue, 22 Sep 1998, Paul Slootman wrote:

> Well, I think that most people who want to specifically do compiling,
> won't get an Alpha; a similarly priced intel machine is much faster
> at compiling.  Unfortunately compiling on Linux/Alpha currently not
> optimal, and I simply cannot see the logic in not releasing Debian/Alpha
> just because the compiler (very) sometimes throws a fit.

I agree.  Great point.

> What I hear of people getting an Alpha and putting Linux on it, is
> graphics stuff (e.g. gimp, rendering) and mathematical calculations
> and that sort of thing (which reminds me, there are a _lot_ of math
> packages not yet compiled; that's more important IMHO!).

I'm working on those.  Binutils comes first, though :-)  As does dpkg and
jade.

> I've been running 2.0.36pre2 for ten days now, compiled with the
> previous egcs version (a new one was uploaded yesterday, right?)

Yes, and expect another today.  It should be the final....barring binutils
problems.

> Additionally, those "important" packages are just a couple, and
> compile pretty well AFAIK. It's the dozens if not hunderds of little
> other packages that haven't been ported yet that cause the problems;
> I find myself spending a lot of time debugging debian/rules etc.
> Luckily most maintainers are more than willing to integrate the patches
> I send to the BTS, so that the next time round there are less problems.

Agreed.  I have to get better about this again.  Mostly, I do NMUs and
forget to send patches upstream.  I think I need more sleep since my
memory is failing lately.