Re: Preparing for the freeze (was: Obsolete packages in main/oldlibs)

Paul> Of course, I think Alpha's aren't often used just for networking;
Paul> their CPU performance put them into a different market segment.
Paul> Use the old, otherwise obsolete 486's for gatewaying etc...

Hummm... My Multia makes a real nice gateway/server/whatever. But this
is quite a 486-class machine, althought it is the fastest I own... ;-)

>> I hope we will not have to wait until 2.2.x kernels are out.

Paul> I don't think so. If Red Hat dare to ask money for their current Alpha
Paul> release, we can release Debian/Alpha 2.1 for free without feeling guilty
Paul> :-)

Having recently switched from RH4.2 to 2.0-beta, I'm REALLY pleased
with the whole system. Nice, fast, efficient. Just as Debian/i386.
MUCH better than RH has ever been.

There's only a few minor things to do to support 2.1.X kernels
(although 2.0-beta does quite a good job in this respect), and maybe
add pcmcia package.

The main point is : We should push Debian/Alpha out ASAP, since the
system is really clean, and that would show quite a lot of people that
RH is NOT the only kid in town... ;-)

	Marc.
--
Ain't no fun waiting 'round to be a millionnaire. [acdc]