Re: egcs pre1.1

On Wed, 9 Sep 1998, Paul Slootman wrote:

> I have the gcc_2.91.57-1.deb installed at home, and that's where I came
> across this. I haven't looked yet to see if there's a newer one, will do
> when I get the chance.

Don't bother.  That was the latest until today's upload (which is only the
CPP_PREDEFINES fix).  If you can, ftp the Haifa-disabled version from my
ftp site and see if that fixes it.  It doesn't look like a Haifa problem
offhand, but it very well could be aggravated by it.

> As I said, don't expect the source to do anything sensible, it's what
> was left after I stripped out everything that didn't cause the bug to go
> away.

Hmmm...well, it seems ok to me and compiles ok on alpha.debian.nl (using
2.91.57-1)...at least the code snippet does.  It could even be a macro
expansion problem (x2()?) but without seeing more of the source, I
wouldn't be able to tell where it's freaking out.

> It's from one of the (out of date / not yet ported) graphics packages; I
> can't check which one for about 24 hours, however. It's probably eeyes
> (source gnome-graphics).

Hmmm...I'll grab it and try when I get the UDB back up.  It's much easier
for me to diagnose it that way since I can change compilers at will
(rather than on alpha.debian.nl).

> I was building packages that currently depend on libjpeg[g]6a, so that
> they would depend on libjpeg6b instead, so that the old libraries can be
> retired (which is why I also came across the imake problems with
> chimera2).

Yeah, I try to do that also.  I'm about to audit master for libstdc++2.8
packages...

> I saw that menu now succeeded, whereas the C++ stuff failed previously.
> Things are getting better!

I think it's one step forward and one back for now.  I've run into alot of
outdated stuff that won't compile with new upstreams or new changes (jade,
etc). It's frustrating because alot of what is added is needed in those
packages, but it just won't go.  That's kinda why the outdated list is
getting larger lately.