Re: Debian-Alpha questions (&related ones)

On Wed, Jul 22, 1998 at 10:45:31PM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> So my questions are: How stable and complete is the Alpha port of
> Debian, and how good is Alpha's emulator for i386 Linux programs?

I use Debian/Alpha every single day, for everything from compiling up new
packages to managing all our Unix boxes using X and so forth.  Very stable.

As for completeness, last time I checked, we were 300 packages from parity
with the i386 and 130 of those are either non-free or contrib.

However, several people have uploaded packages in the last week, and my
mirror's not been working, so our numbers are probably a little bit better.

Most of the remaining packages are fairly low-use things, I suspect, or ones
that aren't necessarily 64-bit clean and thus a big pain to try and clean
up.

> Can anyone reccommend an Alpha vendor with the new Alphas and an
> estimate of the cost of such a system?  It appears that it would even
> rate quite favorable compared to a QUAD Xeon!  Now the only problem is
> that I assume it will be out of my budget :-(

Sorry, my only alpha is a cheap old UDB.

Mike.