Debian-Alpha questions (&related ones)

 [ Please CC any reply since I'm not on the list ]

Hi,

I am considering purchasing a powerful new computer next month.
Currently, I have been looking at a dual PII/400 from VA Research --
SPEC results place it a good deal faster than a 600 MHz Alpha at int
and a good deal slower at fp, but it's $2000 cheaper ($4000 vs $6000).

However, I saw today the news of a new Alpha that would just blow that
PII/400 out of the water.

So my questions are: How stable and complete is the Alpha port of
Debian, and how good is Alpha's emulator for i386 Linux programs?

Can anyone reccommend an Alpha vendor with the new Alphas and an
estimate of the cost of such a system?  It appears that it would even
rate quite favorable compared to a QUAD Xeon!  Now the only problem is
that I assume it will be out of my budget :-(

Thanks for any insight.

John

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@complete.org |