Re: Do these packages belong?

On Wed 15 Jul 1998, Christopher C Chimelis wrote:
> On 15 Jul 1998, James Troup wrote:
>
> > fdflush is only
> > needed for i386 because only i386 suffers from that kind of floppy
> > brain damage; according to Wichert anyways.
>
> It's possible that the Alphas have the same problem since alot of Alphas
> use the same controller chips that the PCs use, but I'm not sure what
> kinda dain bramage that the PCs have, so....another one that probably
> could come out.

Actually, the dain bramage (huh?) is with the floppy drives themselves
IIRC. As you're free to plus in any floppy drive you want onto an Alpha
motherboard, you _might_ need fdflush. The problem is that some floppy
drives don't detect when a floppy has been replaced, which means it
can't notify the controller and thus the kernel, leading to the kernel
thinking that the buffered data is still valid. In the Old Days you put
a line in config.sys as such:

    drivparm=/d:0 /c /f:7

The /c option indicated that the drive could not monitor the "closed"
state.

I've tested the fdflush (I was the one who uploaded the Alpha package),
and it works as expected; hence my feeling is that it certainly can't
hurt to have fdflush available. Why would we purposely want to cripple
the Alpha distribution?

Hmm, I thought that I had submitted an NMU bug report against fdflush
at I uploaded it, but I can't find the bug report anymore. I'll have to
check when I get home.

> > qcam cameras attach
> > through the parallel port, IIRC, do Alpha's support PC hardware that
> > attaches in that fashion?
>
> This one should probably stay.  We do have PC-style hardware that's

I can get my hands on a quickcam, so I'll have a go at testing it.

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl
http://www.wurtel.demon.nl | Murphy Software, Enschede, the Netherlands