circular package dependencies

This may be a stupid question, but I nearly hosed my installation
messing around, so I'll ask anyway.

I tried to install bash_2.01.1-3 , but it depends on libreadlineg2,
which can't be installed because it conflicts with libreadline2,
which can't be removed because the currently installed bash_2.00.01
depends on it, and I don't want to remove this (before replacing it)
for fairly obvious reasons.

I got as far as using --force-depends on the new bash package before
things started to stop working and I decided it was a bad idea.
Fortunately, I had a copy of the old bash binary on another partition.

What is the proper way to deal with this kind of situation?

--
Ian Willmott
Northern Telecom