good news and bad news on floating-point problems

The good news first:

When patched with the DEC-supplied patches, kernel 2.0.34 and when the
CONFIG_MATHEMU=y switch is set in linux/.config, the kernel 2.1.208
both produce the desired result for a floating divide by zero.
Namely, with the -mieee switch set, a floating divide by zero will
show as "Inf." when printed.  Further, the same test code when
compiled with the -fpe1 switch on DEC-Unix f77, will also produce the
correct result.  Even further, with the correct dynamic libraries
installed, the -non_shared switch is not necessary.

The bad news:

My large, production, legacy code when compiled with the same switches
on either side (Linux or DEC-Unix) core-dumps on floating-point
exceptions.  The same code runs correctly on DEC-Unix with -fpe1
switch enabled.  What is really odd is that at one time, with "some"
kernels, this did not occur and the code ran correctly (both "g77
-mieee" compiled or "f77 -fpe1" compiled).

I guess there are listed 5 floating exceptions that can occur with
divide by zero being one of them.  Apparently the -mieee and/or the
MATHEMU does not catch all of the possibilities.

So close yet so far away...

|James D. Freels, P.E._i, Ph.D. |Phone:  (423)576-8645 |   | L | A |
|Oak Ridge National Laboratory  |FAX:    (423)574-9172 | H | I | L |
|Research Reactors Division     |work e-m: fea@ornl.gov| F | N | P |
|P. O. Box 2008                 |home e-m: fea@icx.net | I | U | H |
|Oak Ridge, Tennessee 37831-6392|world's best neutrons | R | X | A |