Re: g77 -mieee no longer the same: OK kernel problem

On Tue, 7 Jul 1998, James D. Freels wrote:

> I fixed the problem by booting under the stable kernel 2.0.34 with the
> Alpha patches from DEC.  With the -mieee switch enabled, the code does
> execute as desired.

Ah, great :)  Then the kernel is the prob.

> However, upon reading some of the traffic on the alpha newsgroups, it
> appears the DEC-Alpha floating issue under Linux is under alot of
> work.  Apparently the -mieee slows things down considerably and also
> the development of a faster math library is underway.

Very true.  I played with the prototype of their faster libm and it was
really nice.  I was hoping to get copyright clearance on it so I could
propose to package it for Debian, but turns out that the lib I used was
compiled with routines written by Cray, so that went down the tubes.  As
for the -mieee issue, yeah, I kinda started that thread over there and
ducked out REALLY quickly.  I agree that we have to find a better way and
that a kernel-level solution is needed, but apparently it doesn't work
quite right yet.

> Anyway, I'm back to normal and I know what the problem is.

No prob.  If you really liked the features of 2.1.107 over 2.0.34 (and I
would, I know that), then just recompile it with that CONFIG_MATHEMU
setting disabled.